Knowledge-based Systems in Bioinformatics (Schedule)
Knowledge-based Systems in Bioinformatics (KBIB) is aiming at teaching you intelligent bioinformatics; principles and methods for biomedical knowledge representation and inference. The following topics will be covered during the course:
- Machine learning techniques
- Rough set theory
- Rule-based classification
- Decision trees and Monte Carlo feature selection
- Constraint programming
- Applications, including: HIV studies, functional genomics, epigenetics, diagnosis using molecular markers and gene ontologies
KBIB is a 5 credit points course: 3 points - exam, 1 point - hand-ins and 1 point - project.
- The exercises should be submitted through the student portal unless got approved during the lab sessions. They all have to be approved for passing grade. Results and feedbacks to submitted exercises will also be reported via the student portal
- There will be a bonus point on the exam for each approved exercise handed in before the deadline. Thus there will be a maximum of 6 bonus points amounting to 6% of the exam.
Lecture and Lab Materials
The lecture slides will be available shortly after the lecture was given. While the laboratory tasks will be available prior to their corresponding lab schedules.Supporting tutorials:
- Rough sets tutorial (reading sections: 1 to 5)
- Rosetta tutorial